Monday, August 6, 2007

Square Peg, Round Hole

How can the use of technology become an integral part of education? Our district keeps talking about creating a “Learning Community”, but I think the idea most administrators have for this is to read a book and then discuss it in small groups within the district. Our teachers have even a smaller view of how this is supposed to be done by thinking it is their grade level or department. The idea that one could communicate with the entire world and get ideas from everywhere has not entered their world. Using technology in education to expand resources and horizons is not there yet. I believe that administrators and teachers need to have staff development in how to use blogs and the other things that we are learning in this class. Students will and have learned these on their own and now the educators need to learn how to use the Web 2.0 tools. Educators cannot use something that they know nothing about. It is not necesarily that teachers will not use Web 2.0 tools but they do not even know what exists. How can you use something that you don't even know exists? A part of NCLB should be NELB (No Educator Left Behind).


How important is the education of our children? Is our society willing to put dollars into training/retraining educators? Should educators work all year with at least one month devoted to staff development? When will the nation stop blaming teachers and starting giving them tools so they can succeed and move into the 21st century? Secretaries in our district have better computers (newer, faster) then our students and teachers. Teachers only have 180 days with students and they do not want to give up those days to go to training. I cannot blame them. Time is another factor and curriculum that teachers do not want to let go. Cursive writing is an example of something that used to be important, but I do not believe it is anymore. Teaching needs to be a full year job, with time added for teachers to learn new skills.

Our technology has changed how every one of us can learn and commmunicate. Educators need to learn these skills.

5 comments:

Suzismini said...

I fully agree with you that we need to continue to evolve with the skills and technology necessary to effectively teach our students. I am very blessed to work for an administrator who would love for me to incorporate these things into my teaching. She is very much a "bottom up" administrator and has successfully implemented "Professional Learning Communities" at our school. She saw a Smartboard at a math conference and came back to tell me that I needed one. She got the board for me and I sought out training. Once I realized how valuable this learning tool could be, she even supported me in getting additional hardware to support its use in my room. You are very correct in your assessment of administrative support.

I also wanted to applaud your evaluation of cursive handwriting curriculum. I think keyboarding skills have replaced those skills. Just like quill sharpening skills, some things have to be let go!

I didn't read this article, I read the other one so I appreciate your thoughts in helping me to have a limited grasp of the ideas in the article.

Anonymous said...

I would be interested in your thoughts as to how to move the "establishment" into year round school? Also, how would you convince teachers to adopt, in steps, Web 2.0 tools in their teaching.

Katie said...

I enjoyed reading your post and second a lot you have to say.
Before yesterday I felt knowledgeable in technology but now realize I was one of the educators that was left behind!

I agree with the lack of staff development and not wanting to miss anymore school days with students. This year hasn't even started and I have dates that I will be missing for meetings. My district and our tech. coordinator is pretty good at offering classes after school but many of our staff choose not to attend. Sometimes I feel like if more of our teachers showed an interest more classes would be offered.

In regards to the learning communities my district started them last year. I am one of the facilitators in our PLC and while at first there were many who were resistant, now almost everyone is on board. In just the short time we have been in the PLC's I have seen teachers get excited about the possibilities.

Katie

Sue Conner said...

Nice job on your log post Patti.

PattiK said...

@Fred
I have been trying to answer your question and not having any luck getting it posted. So this is just a text.